Saturday 18 January 2014

SMART(or not-so-smart)watches?!

I am not sure if this topic meets the conditions of our class blog, or not - but I am going for it anyways, since it is actually a topic I have a high level of interest in right now, and I was not able to attend Thursday's class (therefore there are no new class topics for me to talk about.

SO, there isn't really a need for a blog-post summary, but I am a sucker for routine, so here it is:
  1. SMARTwatches

SMARTwatches
I am sure that you are sitting back in your chair (or laying back in your bed, as I am doing right now after a long night's work at The Dock) wondering to yourself, "Why SMARTwatches, Brittani?" - well, the answer to this most pressing question, is that I am considering buying Trent one for his birthday (I am relying heavily on the hope that he is not following my blog as an example to model his after). Now, I guess these technological time-tellers are the next BIG thing, according to Trent and several online sources. I hadn't even HEARD about them until November, when Trent introduced me to the Pebble SMARTwatch - shows how up to speed I am.

Pebble SMARTwatch

I think that if I did end up buying the big bum a watch, it would be a Pebble. The Samsung version only works with Samsung phones (naturally) and the others I've read up on aren't very popular. It would seem that Pebble is the front-runner. BUT I am nervous that since SMARTwatches are fairly new, the kinks might not be quite worked out of them. I am also worried that Apple will release their version of the watch (undoubtedly to be called the iWatch) soon after I purchase the Pebble (Trent and I are Apple people now), since there is many a rumour floating around the interweb about such possibilities...

I am also wondering... are they worth it? I mean, the "old" Pebble is $150 dollars, which I think is reasonable, since if I am looking at buying a Nixon or Guess watch it's gonna be the same price or more, but the Pebble I am interested in is the new, sleek, higher quality one - that retails for almost twice as much... EEP. This begs the question - is it worth it (and, more importantly, can I reeeeeallllly afford this PLUS my eating-at-restaurants addiction?) 

I will now present you with a list of Pros and Cons, which I will try to make relevant to education:

PROS of Getting a Pebble:

  • Largely customizable (bands, faces)
  • Has apps to allow for increased life functionality (email, calendar, organizer, run-tracker, etc.)
  • Makes for a great timer, or weight-loss tracker (think pedometer/calorie-counter) which would be handily worn at all times.
    • This could be a good tool to use for coaching, or gym class (to track students' fitness)
  • Sends discreet notifications that are accessible at all times
    • Which is why I think this would be a great device for a teacher to have. This way, he/she would not have his/her phone out all the time (which could be distracting), but would still be notified when an important text/email/phone call was incoming. This could be done without interrupting class, as the watch vibrates to inform its wearer of any new notifications

CONS of getting a Pebble:

  • Expensive
  • Not well-branded yet (like Nixon or Guess)
  • Not a lot of apps/software available yet, since they are quite a new concept
  • Not necessarily necessary - I mean, isn't this why we have phones?
  • Cannot text/email off the screen
  • Apple will, inevitably, come out with something better - its only a matter of time
I would say this is a pretty even list. I am really, really curious to know what other people think about this topic, so any comments on this particular post are welcomed (though I will likely also just ask everyone what they think about this in class on... Tuesday [or do we have a guest speaker?]).


Are SMARTwatches a useful tool right now?
Oh, definitely.
Not. At. All.
Not yet - they need to iron out the kinks, and create more apps!
Poll Maker



I think that's all for now, folks!
Until next time...


4 comments:

  1. I am also wondering... are they worth it? I mean, the "old" Pebble is $150 dollars, which I think is reasonable, since if I am looking at buying a Nixon or Guess watch it's gonna be the same price or more, but the Pebble I am interested in is the new, sleek, higher quality one - that retails for almost twice as much... EEP. This begs the question - is it worth it (and, more importantly, can I reeeeeallllly afford this PLUS my eating-at-restaurants addiction?)
    vumoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. rangextd reviews. Great Information.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete