Saturday 11 January 2014

Digital Identity... What, When and Where to Share?

I am going to try an experiment, and this experiment requires me to take a relatively large step out of my comfort zone, by sharing with you the actual (not-so-funny) goings-on in my life. My cat is ill. I realize that this may seem comical, being that I am a critically-acclaimed crazy cat lady, but alas, it is not. He (Jax) has just recently had an operation, re-enabling him to urinate. Approximately 2 weeks since, he has taken to vomiting profusely in all areas of the house. This is worrisome. Also, my grandfather has unexpectedly passed away today. I guess it just feels nice to tell someone who is sitting outside the situation, and who literally cannot reach over and give me an awkward hug. What a strange thing to say to people I hardly know - that is, if anyone chooses to read this particular post, - especially given my current mindset on digital identity (spoiler alert!).

Jax, Post-Operation-"Pee-like-a-Champ"

Alright, enough of that. Now, allow me to begin again, on a more light-hearted note, but forgive me if I am not as light-hearted as usual:



Well hello, semester four of four of my Brandon University Education degree. What a terrifying statement to be making... I simply cannot believe that in EIGHT months (fingers, toes, legs-like-a-proper-lady crossed) I will be heading my own classroom! Oh how I digress. The real topic on today's agenda is the formation of one's digital identity, not Ms. Britt's upcoming classroom shenanigans.


SO, topics for tonight:
  1. Defining digital identity
  2. My current opinion on digital identity
  3. My digital identity's future

DEFINING DIGITAL IDENTITY
During our most recent Internet for Educators (IFE) class, we discussed a few key definitions, one of which was Digital Identity. According to Techopedia (I am not sure what its all about but it seemed legit) this is what it is:

A digital identity is an online or networked identity adopted or claimed in cyberspace by an individual, organization or electronic device. These users may also project more than one digital identity through multiple communities. In terms of digital identity management, key areas of concern are security and privacy.

My understanding of one's digital identity is:

All of the things one (knowingly or not, but for this post I would like to focus on the knowingly since the not is not something that can be controlled, therefore it is not something that is worth discussing) tosses out into cyberspace. These things could be in the form of an inebriated image on Instagram, a lascivious love letter on Facebook, or a shameful shout-out on Twitter.

MY CURRENT OPINION ON DIGITAL IDENTITY
Yes, I am aware that all three of the examples I have provided are not-so-awesome ones. Perhaps this tone is reflective of my current (yet, slowly altering) stance on forming a digital identity. Presently, I am of the mind that when it comes to forming a digital identity, less is more. I DO have Facebook, but the privacy settings are maxed out. I DO have Twitter, but I must approve you before you can read my tweets. I DO blog, but I make sure that there is nothing offensive (or more than mildly offensive) or too personal within my posts.

I am going to come right out and say it: I am generally afraid to broadcast information about my personality, interests, thoughts, feelings and opinions out there on the interweb for all to see. Why? Because once one tosses these things out there, one cannot simply take them back. They are out there, somewhere, FOREVER (dunh dunh dunh duuuuuuunh). What if what I think is fine to broadcast now, at 22 years of age, turns out not to be so fine in 2-3-4-5 years?? What if a potential employer finds it off-putting? What if what I said is boring, pretentious, irrelevant, or stupid? What if my MOM sees it (this is a joke, since my mom is technologically handicapped and will actually never see it, as she cannot even identify the "browser").

What if I am just a private person?

MY DIGITAL IDENTITY'S FUTURE
Nantais (who I will have to begin referring to by name, rather than my one and only fan, since this semester it is a requirement that others read my blog) believes that having a public digital identity is a good thing. And deep down, I must admit that this seems to be the direction the world is going in. I really got to thinking about this over the past few days, and here is where I am trying to be, mentally:
  • By putting myself out there, I would be inviting others to learn about me, and therefore (if they like what they see), opening myself up to forming new and interesting connections
  • There are many functions (including those which I have named earlier in my post) that allow the private to be separated from the public, so different digital identities can be created for different digital audiences (the same way in which we present ourselves differently to different audiences in "real life") 
  • I find all of the new social networking possibilities interesting, and time-saving. I can share the goings-on in my life with my family and friends with the click of a (several) button(s) (on my keyboard which will spell the name of both the URL I am seeking and the message I wish to type into it). Sometimes it just makes sense. 
  • It feels sort of nice to just toss things out there into the abyss 
As you could see in the second section of my blog post, I have not fully embraced this kumbaya mentality surrounding my digital identity. But, as you can also tell by the intro, I am giving it a trial run.

Until next week, (I mean, assuming that you do not think that what I have to say is boring, pretentious, irrelevant, or stupid, of course),

Britt

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Britt, it is great to have you back blogging. Very sorry to hear about your Grandfather, deepest condolences.
    I am sure we will find many good reasons to share online this term. Great adventures lie ahead.

    ReplyDelete