Thursday 17 January 2013

I don't have a specific topic so I will just ramble...

Well, as you can see by the title of my post, I have not yet come up with a topic for this week's blog posting. Because of this, I will take a stream of consciousness approach towards this week's ICT-related happenings. But first,
I shall brainstorm some TOPICS.
         
     1.  Digital Storytelling P.D.
     2.  Making a Website
     3.  Funny Little Videos


DIGITAL STORYTELLING/"We learn through Stories"
Yesterday afternoon/evening these two lovely fellows by the names of Darren and Andy came to Brandon University to put on a little show for students who are interested in amping up the way they tell stories. Between 3:30 and 6:00 p.m. I watched, listened to, and participated in Darren's ICT antics, and I must say that, for the most part, I was impressed. 

Now I'm certainly no technological wizard, but I know that there are millions of fabulous digital applications available to us as teachers, many of them free. However, I simply had no idea where to start. I attended this P.D. because: 1) as an assignment for my ELA Methods course I am required to create a digital short story (and at first, I had no idea what that was), and 2) Mr. Nantais said the presenters were outstanding - and I am glad I did because I now know about "Vocaroo," "iPhoto" (though I do not have a Mac *frown*), "SonicPics", "Audacity," and "Slideshare" - which are all tools with which a digital short story can be manufactured. Though there are many things I have already forgotten about how to use these applications, resources are always very valuable commodities and I look forward to experimenting with them in the future. 

MAKING A WEBSITE
While we were talking about making a class website in class (ICT) today, I thought about the personal website I manufactured in the ninth/tenth grades. I really wish I could remember the URL, or even what was on it, but I don't - it is lost... forever (dunh dunh dunnnnh *this is to be taken ominously). Anyways, what I DO remember is that website-making sure was a lot different then than it is now. It was all bad graphics and HTML boxes. Now, with sites like weebly, the template is already there, and you can change things like colour or font with the click of a button! 

So that was off topic.

Ok, classroom website. My website URL is mshammondsclass.weebly.com.... and that's about as far as I've gotten. But I am not too concerned about it, since I figure that once I get my ePortfolio finished (which is slightly further along than my website - I have gotten as far as choosing a theme), the website (I am using weebly for this as well) will be a cinch. I am a little nervous though. I can honestly say that I don't even know how to use HTML boxes, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) I need in order to add outside elements to my site (such as a calendar, poll, video, etc.). I guess I will just cross that bridge when I get to it though. More bloggage on this topic will come when I am further along. 

FUNNY LITTLE VIDEOS
Now this is the part of my blog posting where I am 
going to attempt to do something new. I am going to try to upload the video Darren showed us in his presentation that he got from "YouTube" and cite it correctly. Here I go.   


That was WAY easier than I thought it would be. However... now I don't know where I should cite it *confusion*. Maybe right here? This video was created by 50people1question in January of 2009. You can find this video at the following URL: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAUGg4081Q). Hmmm I'm not sure that that's 100% what I am supposed to do. Help? I am also having trouble moving images, video, and text around in order to make my blog pleasing to the eye. I think I will have to consult Mr. Nantais and some of my peers for tips and tricks.


Anyways, I think my work here is done. "Talk" to you next week. Bye :)

P.S. whenever I preview this post, some of my words come up as orange and underlined. I am not sure why.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brittani, I love your style - the rambling - and storytelling is lively! Thanks! BLog is looking pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete