Wednesday 23 January 2013

Creating my first website

Today's one and only topic is the creation of my class website in I.C.T. First, a list of ADJECTIVES (in no particular order) that describes the experience so far:

  1. Aggravating
  2. Interesting
  3. Novel
  4. Educational
  5. Kinda fun (I begrudgingly admit)

A RANT
For me, the trickiest part of making a website was getting started. Since I am technologically handicapped, it took me about two hours to do something many people can do in two minutes (example: exploring the concept of "html" - and yes, I openly admit that I did not know what, exactly, that was until one week ago). Now that I am an entire week in, however, the greater of the two evils standing in the way of my finishing this assignment on time has reared its ugly head (yes, I am dropping cliches and idioms like its my job). So what, you ask, is more evil than the technological wildfire that is rapidly engulfing the entire world? The answer: My O.C.D. I am something of a perfectionist (example: it took me six hours to choose and edit images for the banners - yes, the banners - of my ePortfolio). If my website is not aesthetically awing by January 31st, I simply cannot hand it in. Social life, working out, outside world, goodbye. Sweatpants, junk food, living room couch, hello. 

A REALIZATION (a more relevant read)
Okay, so before this post turns into pity party I am going to shift gears (but only slightly) and talk about the usefulness of this website-in-progress. When I first started making it, I was going to design the entire thing as a mock-classroom website, since I don't exactly have a classroom at the moment. BUT, now that I've thought about it, I might as well make it useful for the me of the future sooner (2 months), rather than later (2 years). So, I am going to try (and when I say try, I mean reeeeally try) to alter most of the content to fit with my upcoming student teaching placement (at Crocus Plains). This means that I will have informational pages on topics and/or courses that I plan on covering while I am there. This being said, my knowledge of exactly what I will be teaching when I arrive at Crocus Plains is limited, so my website content will be limited as well - until I actually start teaching (which is definitely after the due date for this assignment). I don't think Mr. Nantais is expecting the link to some kind of fictitious wonder to arrive in his gmail inbox, so I think (hope) that it's attempting to make this assignment relevant to my life that counts... And besides, what I lack in content, I will be sure to make up in creativity... and aesthetics... :)

A REMARK
I very much hope that my ramblings about life and technological exploration are what I am supposed to be blogging about in my bloggety blog, since that is basically what I have been doing for the past three entries, and I'd like to pass. I would ask, but I average 3 questions a class (which is approximately 2.5 more questions than the average person)... so I think I'm just going to run with it for now. 

And now its time for the cool-new-tech-maneuver of the day: A link!

But wait! There's more! I just learned how to "printscreen." Observe, the home page of my website. 



 Um, yes. I did just include two cool-new-tech-maneuvers of the day in my blog. You're welcome.

Until next week, bye bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment