Tuesday 4 March 2014

Twittering Away (Extra Post)

Hello!

I hadn't realized that I am a litttttttttle behind in my tech task blog posts! Oops. So I need to talk about my experiences with Twitter today... Hmmm... What to say?

Today's Topics:

  1. My Thoughts on Social Media
  2. Twitter in the Classroom
  3. Twitter and the PLN


1. MY THOUGHTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
I have used Twitter for about two years now, so it's nothing new for me. I like it okay, but honestly - I am not a big social media person. Now, don't get me wrong - I love technology and I think it is very useful in the classroom. But in terms of social media, I would rather live my life in the moment, than spend it documenting the moment. And this does not only go for Twitter. I am RARELY on Facebook, and I don't use any of the new social media platforms that all the cool kids are using, like Instagram or Snapchat.

2. TWITTER IN THE CLASSROOM
Twitter is good because it is concise and to-the-point. Because of this, I think it would make a great classroom tool. In an English classroom I can see myself using it to teach kids to write concisely, or to summarize. It would make a great, modern way to do exit slips as well.

3. TWITTER AND THE PLN
In terms of my personal learning network, I have no doubt that the education professionals I have added to my Twitter page will have interesting and insightful tweets, and that they will share many fantastic resources. However, if I am being honest... I don't check as my Twitter feed as much as I should in order to gather these resources. This is something that, now that I am heading out into my career, I am going to make an effort to work on. Even though, as I've said, I am a bit of a humbug when it comes to social media.

Bottom line: Twitter is a great social media platform - I'm just not that into social media. But I realize its value as a professional, and so I am going to try harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment