Tuesday 18 February 2014

BYOD at BU

Today, in place of I4Ed class, we attended a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Panel put on by our instructor, Mike Nantais. To be honest, going into it I was not as excited as Mike was - but coming out of it, I was absolutely buzzing

So today's topic is:
  1. BYOD at BU

The panelists, which included representatives from Dakota Collegiate (Winnipeg), St. James Assiniboia School Division (Winnipeg) and Rolling River School Division (Rivers, Minnedosa, Erickson etc.) were phenomenal. I've had the pleasure of listening to Darren Kuropatwa (of St. James Assiniboia) speak in our ICT class last year, and he definitely didn't disappoint the second time around. He and Andy McKiel (who also presented last year) have much useful and inspiring information to share about infusing classrooms across Manitoba with the latest and greatest technology, and the BYOD program they are involved in in their division appears to be very well-thought out, well-implemented, and well-oiled. It was excellent to have an opportunity to ask these two, as well as the other panelists, some of the questions that had been brewing in my mind for some time.

And so, if you are feeling inquisitive and ready to read, you might ask what, exactly, these questions were about. And I will tell you, whether you are in such a mood or not. The most important topic I was interested in learning about is how teachers heading BYOD classrooms manage students who are allowed constant access to phones, laptops, and tablets. On this topic, the panelists were able to offer the following responses: Internet filters are a thing of the past - students must be taught to become their own filters, and part of device, and thus student, management is teaching students (and their parents, so that this education may continue at home) the ethics associated with technology. Also, as modern educators living in a time when technology is all around us, we must let go of the traditional concept of having all students working on the same thing at the same time once and for all. This will require an overhaul in terms of the way we think of pedagogy and assessment, but this overhaul is a necessity if we are to keep up with our evolving culture

Not only did the panelists respond to each question that was asked thoroughly, and knowledgeably, but they presented their BYOD programs efficiently and engagingly within the fifteen minute span each division was given. It was very interesting learning about the different ways these divisions installed the same program into their schools - including the level of choice each student was given in choosing a device, which brands were preferred, how the devices were paid for, what infrastructure was put into place prior to the BYOD movement, division policies on broken devices, etc. I also liked that there were representatives from both urban AND rural school divisions, since it is generally the urban ones that are making the quickest advancements. It was great to see a rural division allocate both its priorities and its resources to modernizing its outlook on education by ushering BYOD through the doors of its' schools. 

Goodness gracious me, have you ever seen so many blog posts in one week?!

7 comments:

  1. I do agree that this presentation was effective and thorough. The presenters really did have great insight on BYOD and confirmed that this BYOD business is a reality and does work! eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with you Britt, the panel was great. I really like learning all of the ideas of turning technology issues not into problems, but teachable moments. Hopefully we can all find divisions like these to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you captured the energy and enthusiasm of the afternoon, Brittani. As the presenter for Dakota and the Louis Riel School Division it was also really great to hear directly about the innovative work going on in the RRSD and SJSD as well.

    BYOD is bound to grow. The Winnipeg SD has been studying HS BYOD at Grant Park, and their data shows that there is a future for BYOD in that division as well. I wonder just how many jurisdictions Canada wide are looking at implementing BYOD in one form or another. I know that Ron Canuel of the CEA sees 1 to 1 and the allied pedagogical approaches as the near future of Canadian education.

    Hopefully there will be more events like the BU panel so that we can all learn from one another as we figure it out a step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on my post, Liz, Erin, and Roy (especially you, Roy, since it's really exciting to know that someone other than my classmates, who have to read my blog, is reading my posts)! I'm glad that everyone had such positive things to say about the panel. I look forward to learning more about BYOD/1 to 1 as I move further into my teaching career.

      Delete
  4. I, too, really enjoyed the presentations! I was not able to stay for the Q&A period, but after reading your blog, I wish I would have been able to.

    I agree with the notion of internet filters being a thing of the past. With technology being everywhere now, I don't think kids are as concerned with visiting inappropriate websites at school. There was an incident that occurred when I was in high school and I know the kid did not have internet access and home- and, honestly, was probably just being a curious kid. I also think that if you try to approach the issue with smoke and mirrors (aka filters), it's like to spike the kid's curiosity even further! Although, I wonder how they would even work now with the ridiculous amount of provocative ads out there. I went to show a YouTube video last year in class and the ad next to video was a fairly accurate animated sketch (apologies for lewdness) of penetration. Right next to the stoichiometry chem tutorial and I am not exaggerating in the least.

    I agree that we need to teach kids appropriate use of devices and the internet. They need to be their own filters.

    I could go on forever, but I will stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt, I too love the idea of internet filters being a thing of the past. We need to use this concept as a teaching moment. We need to teach our student how to become their own internet filters taking responsibility into their own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britt, I too love the idea of internet filters being a thing of the past. We need to use this concept as a teaching moment. We need to teach our student how to become their own internet filters taking responsibility into their own hands.

    ReplyDelete