Wednesday 20 February 2013

A smattering of topics


In today's blog posting, I will be discussing:

  1. ICT Movie-Making
  2. My iPhone Gaming Addiction
  3. "Teaching is like Walking a Cat"




Well, let's get right to it then, since 

<----- THIS

is my to-do list for today, and, much to my dismay,

it is already almost 4:00!

*By the way: This is a picture of a "to-do"
list I made with the taskable app I was telling
you about in my last (?) blog posting.



ICT MOVIE MAKING
Presently, in ICT, everyone has split into groups in order to make brief, 3-minute movies. On Monday, there was no school. On Tuesday, Mirissa was storm-stayed in Saskatoon. These events left my movie group (Rebecca, Mirissa, and myself) only TWO days to script, film, and edit a movie. We are basically super-human though, so it isn't a problem. We scripted and filmed our entire movie today between 10:30 and 12:00. Super. Human. It was actually Rebecca who came up with the idea for our short film. SPOILER ALERT: The movie will be about a University student who has a term paper due first thing in the morning, and who is having an absolute struggle getting it handed in to her professor. Rebecca and I chose Mirissa as the leading lady, since she wasn't here on Tuesday and we wanted to punish her (but actually it was because she is a super-theatrical and hilarious person). I play the rather personality-deficient professor, and Rebecca does most of the camera work (except when she makes a brief appearance in one of the scenes).

So far, so good. Initially, I was irked by this assignment, a little bit because of the short time frame we were given to do it (I am a perfectionist, so I need a lot of time to think about things, generally), but mostly because I've procrastinated with all my other schoolwork (except my ePortfolio, which is surprising since I am not very technologically inclined) so that I am overwhelmed by the amount of things I must do in the next two weeks. Now that I have started the movie, however, I realize that it is not irksome, after all. It is actually pretty fun - especially since my group members are excellent.

I will post the movie, or at least a link to the movie on the bloggety blog when it is finished.

MY iPHONE GAMING ADDICTION
How. Do. I. Stop. Since I am a new iPhone user, I have gone fairly app-crazy. This includes games... Now, I am really not a big internet gamer... and the games available for Blackberry sucked... so I just never really had much interest in wasting hours of my life playing games that offered little to no reward. Everything changed when my cousin talked me into downloading "Drawsomething" (similar to "Pictionary"), so that she had a partner to play with. Now, "Drawsomething" is one thing, and the other games (that the pop-up ads that occurred while I was playing, convinced me to download) on my phone are quite another. "Drawsomething" is good, because generally the people you play with do not have super-addictive personalities and keep drawing you pictures non-stop. "Top Stylist," "The Sims Freeplay," and "Design World," are bad, because they go by real-time and require a lot of time to be invested in order to go up in level. This causes me to play them, rather than do real-life tasks, such as homework, housework, and making meals. Is there rehab for this type of addiction?

"TEACHING IS LIKE WALKING A CAT"... isn't it?
Time Out: I have to check my clothing racks on "Design World."        Okay, back. Now it's time for the irrelevant, yet somewhat interesting, sidebar of the day. For Chris Brown's adolescent development class we have to make a metaphor for teaching and learning for our final project. I was not as worried about this task as some of my peers because I am an English major, and English major is pretty much synonymous with metaphor-maker. I could spew out some B.S. (because everybody knows that English is really all about being a good B.S.er) about playing sports, or making a salad, or steering an old wooden ship. But, then, a couple days ago I really got thinking about this assignment, and my utterly uncaring outlook on it. I sat down on my toilet (pants up, lid down) and did some thinking. Since when did writing, for me, become about just getting it done and making a grade? In high school I actually wrote pieces I liked, and was proud of writing. Then somewhere along the line, in my undergrad degree, I lost my joy for writing and creating. As I sat there on the toilet, I realized that I didn't want to write about sports, or salad, or ships, because truthfully, I don't really care about any of them - nor do I think that they would make for profound, cornball-free writing. I asked myself what I really like, and know lots about. The answer was clear: cats, of course. What could be more profound than cats? 

Ever since I was a small child, I have grown up with cats. So, when I think of cats, I think of my mom. And when I think of my mom in relation to cats, I think of her trying (oh, how she tried) to walk Boo (our old, morbidly obese cat) down the street. So it is only natural that I decided to liken education to cat-walking. Because they are so very similar.

Anyways, I really hope that Chris has a sense of humor, because it would be really embarrassing to hand something like that in if he didn't. 



Stay tuned for next week's post... there's sure to be more random rambling 
where that came from.












1 comment: